You guys! I was so vicariously upset about something that does not actually matter to me that I forgot to tell you about the interview part.
So, yesterday, I was interviewed by someone at a local publication about trends in youth literature. I was referred to this person because, as he put it "I was told that you are not a traditional librarian, meaning that you are not in your 50s."
No. No, I am not.
We chatted about trends in teen and youth literature and I hope I sounded smart. Or, at the very least, like I know what literature is.
Then, at the end of his barrage of questioning which I navigated, dodged, weaved, and deflected successfully, he confirmed a few things, like the spelling of my name and my title.
MagazineGuy: I was told that you are a "Media Specialist." Is that correct?
Aussie: No. I am a Librarian; I have my Master's. Off the record, "Media Specialist" is some b.s. they made-up in the 90s so that schools could hire people to work in the library who have no corresponding degree. And librarians went along with it because they thought it sounded more cutting edge and would connect with the students more. Media Specialists get a certificate--you can get one from GVSU. It is not a degree.
Guys! I hope that you got the important part of my story. I used the phrase "Off the Record" with an actual reporter! This is huge! This is so epic!!!!!!!!! All I have left on my "Phrases to Say Before I Die--and they actually have to be said to the right person-- List" is the all-important "Alonz-y, Alonso" and, of course, "Beam me up, Scotty." So, one more thing off of my life-long list of shit I need to get done.
Oh, and don't call me a Media Specialist. It ends friendships.
2 comments:
That is an amazing, amazing moment. Congrats on both achieving a life goal and on the interview! But, what about "Elementary, my dear Watson"? Or "I drink from the keg of glory, Donna. Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land"? Or "You're a wizard, Harry"?
I ***have*** said "Elementary, my dear Watson." It was epic.
And certainly this is one of those lists that wll only grow with time, so I am trying to keep it to a minimum...but thanks for making it longer. Fat lot of help that was.
Post a Comment