You guys, the best thing EVER happened the other day. I ran into $port at the public library--the one that we both grew-up using since neither of us are public library employees anymore. Despite having gone to undergrad and grade school with $port in addition to working at the same library for like...2 years?...I think it was two. Despite all of that, I probably haven't *spoken* to him in like...a year. Tragic. This is apparently what happens when your friends move out of state, no matter what semblance of promises you make that it happens to other people, but your friendship is too strong for words and you are going to make it. False. Being adult friends is hard!
ANYway, I run into $port and I was kind of trepidatious at first. Of course, I wanted to punch him just like in the old days, but maybe he outgrew that? Maybe he won't recognise me? I went for it, and his back was facing me and I wasn't quite sure but I committed to the shoulder tap. And you know what? HE WAS HAPPY TO SEE ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best! Day! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And then we wandered around the library getting upset that they had moved things because change is evil. And we made jokes and mocked each other and chatted about MMMono and Toi and it was exactly what I think every random encounter with an old friend should be like--you should be able to pick-up where you left off because you both dropped the ball and stopped calling and texting and all of that. Both parties ceased maintaining the relationship at the same level as it was when you lived in the same building or worked together or whatever it was. Both people, so no one is allowed to be mad. But then I got into trouble...
$port: Why are you never on G-Chat anymore?
Aussie: Because I changed my email address...
$port: AND YOU DIDN'T TAKE ME WITH YOU?!?!?!?!
Aussie: I'll email you my new email address, and my blog for good measure! You can have Aussie overload.
$port: Damn straight. You better.
We even worked in some "man-ups" and some not-so-gentle shoving. If only I had had a rubber band to fling at him. Of course, he made the transgression that EVERYone who hasn't seen me in a while does: "Your hair is sooooooooo looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg" while tousselling my hair. At least it was positive, but really, my hair has been this length for about a year now.
And then I followed up with a text and I emailed him my blog's address from the aforementioned new email. I'm so productive!!!
This was far preferable to the whole see them and pretend you didn't but you know that they saw you too, so you know that they know that you know that they are there and you're both just being rude and you should just go say "hello" at least and make some excuse if you really don't want to talk to them, but damn, why not just go and chat for a hot second and refrain from being a douche.
So, anyway, if I run into any of you around town, no pretending that you don't know that it is me.
No comments:
Post a Comment