A guy is so into me that even I can tell. He is a student worker at MCC but he is older than I am.
I think that part of my downfall is that I am just so nice. It all started when he asked if I would give him a ride home because his car was broken. I have never been good at saying no to giving someone a ride--I would never want to be stranded--and he was on my way home anyway. Plus, despite the fact that I did not know him at all at this point, I knew that we worked at the same library--totally not a rapist. It was a solid 15 minute drive, so we chatted a bit and, let's face it, I am fabulous. I walked (really drove) away from this thinking "Yay! I have a new friend at new work already!" A couple of days later, he friend requested me on Facebook--I should have treated him like any other student and put him on limited...Stupid hindsight!
Then the following week he said "My car is still broken--would you mind giving me a ride?" No problem--it is on the way. So I drive him home--we chatted. As I turned off the exit, he was all "Man, you're just so made of awesome--I feel like I should buy you a drink or something. Like, as a thank you for giving me a ride. Also, I feel like you would be really cool to talk to over a drink." My response: "Normally I would be up for that, but I--" And then he cuts me off "Yeah, it is a really long drive back to Grand Rapids." And I **should** have left it at that. In hindsight, I should not have felt the need to defend my alcoholic prowess by adding "It's not the drive--it's that I have work at 7:30 tomorrow morning." Rookie mistake.
Following week...
MCCboy: Last time, I swear, my next pay check is going toward my car.
Aussie: No biggie..."Do unto others..."
And then, using his knowledge of my undergraduate major, he gets me into a discussion about Catholicism and Social Justice--about both of which I am very passionate. After a discussion that ends-up with him sitting in the car in the driveway still talking...
MCCboy: What are we doing still sitting in the car? Why don't you come in and I'll make you a cup of tea.
Aussie: I have kiddos early tomorrow.
MCCboy: Oh, right. {taking off seatbelt} When do they get out?
Aussie: Exams are next week
MCCboy: Okay--we can do something the following week, then. {Has exited vehicle and is doing the bend into the door to talk thing} Oh, and by the way--I was kind of stalking you on facebook. It's a good thing that you have all of the Jane Austen books in there, otherwise I would think that you weren't well read. See ya! {closes door}
Aussie: There are books on my Facebook? Where are there books on my facebook?
In summary--that is where we are with the whole this thing. It seems apparent to me that he wants to get up my skirt. This might be marginally acceptable if he met my standards, but he does not meet a single one of my standards. I have no qualms with my standards; I maintain that I, along with everyone else, has the right to hold high standards. My issue is that I am still really, really bad at rejecting guys without making them feel stupid or hurt or whatever usually happens. I don't know because they tend to cease all forms of communication with me after such an event. Hence the cry for help.
To arms, ladies, to arms! I have always kept an "honesty is the best policy" policy in these situations--is that where I am going wrong? Should I not be up-front but rather just refrain from dropping hints until he gets it? Should I pretend that I have a boyfriend?
No comments:
Post a Comment