Friday, June 10, 2011

Things that I get paid $25 an hour to do

No joke, this is a list of **everything** work related that I have done at MCC in the past month of working 14 hours a week.

1. Refilled the printer's paper tray
2. Shut down computers
3. Taught a student the difference between clicking and dragging
4. Answered the phone to tell someone the hours
5. Told someone in person the hours
6. Indicated to someone where the address bar is on Internet Explorer
7. Helped someone figure out how to print from Blackboard
8. Indicated to a student the clearly labelled printer name on the color printer
9. Told someone how much color print-outs cost
10. Told multiple people how much black and white print outs cost
11. Helped someone attach a document to their email
12. Read the instructions printed on the lid of the scanner to a student who could not figure out how to use the scanner. No further explanations--just read aloud.
13. Helped a student search the OPAC for materials on reserve
14. Explained to someone how the alphabet works in relation to the Library of Congress system
15. Checked the lost and found for a black flashdrive
16. Helped a student find materials regarding the Michigan Calvary's involvement in the Battle of Gettysburg.


I am not complaining--merely pointing out that there might be something wrong with the world. I did all of this at ye old public library and they only paid me $12 an hour.

Oh, and did I mention that MCC pays me mileage for my commute because I am technically Faculty. I would say that this means that I win at life, except I am afraid of losing all of my brain power. I used to have such a pretty brain...

No comments: