Is nothing independent? I know that we want these kids to share and be open to others’ ideas and needs and other stuff, but why must it always be at the expense of the learning of the outliers, both top and bottom?
As a bonus fact, I was chatting with a child development specialist at a birthday party a week or so ago. She and I—we had never met before—were really hitting it off because we quickly recognized that we were leaps and bounds more intelligent than everyone else at the soiree. I usually do not jump to this conclusion. It was simply a self-evident fact of the evening. Anyway—bonus fact! She was talking about how annoyed she becomes when people use a turn of phrase amounting to “we learned how to share in kindergarten”. Why is this annoying? Children are not developmentally capable of sharing until such an age when they are capable of empathy. Children in kindergarten who share merely doing as they are told; it is a trained response of which they are reminded constantly. Left to their own devices, they would not voluntarily share without a reminder. True sharing—that is, voluntary sharing—is not seen until about age 7 or 8. While it is possible that your kindergarten teacher attempted to teach you to share, no student learns this behavior until first or second grade.
In the spirit of sharing, here is a fun graphic on the current break-down of social media use. I love this break-up of the distribution into a Media Food-Pyramid. Also, note that gaming, which includes Wii fit and is in any manifestation the most physically active portion of media consumption, is in the place of “Fats” on the traditional food pyramid.
No comments:
Post a Comment