Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wrong answer.

You guys! You would be so proud of me…I was such a hard-ass yesterday. I wonder if the students are starting to refer to me using nasty words. You see, JesusSchool has a stringent discipline policy. In the handbook it states that any teacher can give any student a detention for a long list of behaviors, including dress code violations, swearing, cheating, stealing, vandalizing, other standards, and “Any other behavior deemed disruptive to the learning environment” which I take o mean “Anything that annoys me.” Awesome.

A strict no-cell phone policy is also in place. Students may not use or access their cell phones anywhere on the grounds between the first warning bell and the bell for final dismissal. At all. Ever. Not during lunch, nor pass time, nor when they are in the bathroom. This is pretty clear, right?

I have been nice so far with getting back into the swing of things. For instance, I looked straight at a senior boy on the football team and said “Make sure your shirt is tucked in, because out of the corner of my eye, it looks like it’s not—lame reason for a detention.” Or, “What did you just say? ‘Cause it sounds like I might need to find that detention pad already. . .” These have been met with hastily tucked-in shirts by all of the boys around, murmerred apologies, and even a "Yes, Ma'm."

So when a student was texting in a stairwell during class yesterday, I told her to hand it over. She looked at me like I was the devil incarnate. Based on her size and attitude, she was a sophomore or junior.

Aussie-the-Enforcer: You know better. Hand it over. You can get it back from me after school.

Rule-Breaker-with-a-Cell-Phone-and-a-cocky-attitude: I’m just on my way to class.

AtE: Then you won’t need your cell phone. You can get it after school.

RBwaCPaaCA (finishing and sending text): I wasn’t even using it.

AtE: Sure looks and sounds like it. You can either pick it up after school from the library or from the office with your detention. Your choice.

RBwaCPaaCA (reading text that she just received): I have to get back to class.

AtE: Main Office with a detention it is. Name?

RBwaCPaaCA (handing over Cell Phone with a huge sigh and eye roll) : Whatever. [Exit]

Apparently, when you take a cell phone, the student cannot actually pick it up. Their mother or father must report to the office to retrieve it. If I had to get my kid's phone from the office, I would be pissed. You can't go after work, so you would have to do it in the morning. Gross. Talk about a deterrent. Hassle from a teacher, cell phone taken away, parents pissed, and a two hour detention.

At least that beezie totally deserved it.

1 comment:

Jennifer McGraw said...

I had to pick up my kid's cell phone from said Jesus School and I was pretty ticked off. I think he lost the cell phone for a week if I remember correctly. Your description of the situation fits him perfectly...in fact I would have thought it was him except he graduated last year and he's a guy!
Missed you Tuesday!