Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Another witchy post

As the summer is winding down, I am actually thrilled with the prospect of school starting. Well, that might be inaccurate. In fact, that is entirely inaccurate. I love getting paid when I am not working--why would I want that to stop? I am thrilled that I will be done with MCC as of today--Thank. The. LORD. It....has been ridiculous. I hate the patrons because they are so rude. I hate my boss because she not only micro-manages, but also speaks to me as though I am a mentally retarded six year old with anger management issues. I hate the other adult staff because they all tell me what to do, but in that sort of "I'm just letting you know...this is what I would do if I were you, but I'm just clerical staff, so it's up to you" kind of way. I hate the asinine rules.

As example of the huge bowl of stupid: The Library Catalogue computers are only to be used for the library catalogue, but they have full access to the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite and do not require a separate log-in for printing charges. SO, this is a great way for a student or a community member to work around the system so that they do not have to pay for prints. Therefore, I am expected to police any individual who spends more than "a minute or two" at the library catalogue. My reaction? Why don't you just lock down those computers so that all they have access to is the library catalogue? The answer I got, oh so satisfying "This is a public school. We can't do that." I...I don't think you understand my point. I'm not saying that you should do it to all of the computers, but you *can* do that on these select few, since you are enforcing this rule and heckling people, I don't see the difference, really. And! when someone was actually printing records of books--they had like 10 or 15--the head librarian was like "We should have them stop that. They are wasting paper. No one needs that many WebCATs." And then she stood there looking at me like I should go and tell this patron to stop looking-up books. So, I walked over and said something sweet and helpful to the general effect of "Hi, I noticed that you are doing a bit of research. Anything I can help you find?" And then I helped the patron find all 12 books that she was looking for. And, yes, she checked them all out. Like I said: ridiculous.

In sum: I want to go back to my high school job where people treat me like an adult, view my opinions as informed, and my boss leaves me the fuck alone.

1 comment:

SleepyGirl said...

Aws. Clearly you need one of those little water spritzer bottles, so you can shoo students away from the printer computers....