I am at that point in my job where I have too much to do and too little time to do it, so I work really hard in the morning and then I do nothing all afternoon. Of course, this is fine, the afternoons here are fairly short…plus that is when the study hall kids come down.
As an aside, can I just say how much I hate the concept of study hall. Complete bullshit. Just take another class. If you need something easy, take Art or Band or Choir or Weight lifting. Do something productive with your day. I know that there are 7 hours in the day at Catholic school, but deal.
So, here I am, brain-fried, but I still need to do ** something ** with my day. One of my side projects that everyone continually tells me is an “Over the Summer Project” is creating a library website for the two schools. I am having the issue that, coming out of a union job, I am now morally opposed to doing work outside of the work day. Sometimes I don’t do it during the work day. Hee.
Creating a school library website is really not that bad, except that I have sooooooo much else to do, like weed the collection, write detentions, give lectures on information literacy and why Wikipedia is not a reputable resource for academic research, yell at students to tuck-in their shirts, pull books for student use on a paper, trouble-shoot OpenOffice Writer (EVIL!), catalog materials, figure out how best to reconfigure the library so that it is actually a library, and all of this while being continuously interrupted by teachers to unjam the copy machine (glad I got that Masters Degree) and listen to them bitch about the good old days when they had a fulltime librarian.
So, brain-fried, website building… My first step is to write-up the content so that I can figure out how I want to manipulate it into a user-friendly site. The aspect that I am working on right now is a subject guide or a pathfinder. Why reinvent the wheel? I started looking through the Internet Public Library’s website and other reputed, esteemed Pathfinders.
They all suck. Hard core suckage. Worst. Resource. Ever! The IPL pathfinder has so many broken links that I about wanted to cry. They pay people to maintain this! Please hire me. I would gladly troll the internet looking for cool, useful sites and then check that the links worked once a month or so. It simply cannot be that over 50 links stopped working over the weekend, kids. Get your shit together.
To make matters worse, the links that are working are not even what I would call resources. They are products or just plain useless. If I had time and expertise, I would love to write an Aussie-approved internet. I could have my own domain so that people would know that their search was producing quality results. No teacher would ever question a works-cited entry again.
Then again, maybe I just need to revisit this when I am not 15 minutes away from the end of the school day. And it is snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
No comments:
Post a Comment