Sunday, March 1, 2009

Old Hickory

Friends, I have often wondered at the nickname of our 7th President.

No, not the "American Lion" bit, the "Old Hickory" bit.

I know that he was a considerable opponent on the battlefield, relentless, even, especially in New Orleans, but why does that translate to "Hickory"?

And then Uncle FixIT! answered my question.  I was chatting with him in the barn and he asked me to pass him a shovel. . . so I did.  "No."  he said, scoffing at my city-girl choice of a sturdy-looking metal handled shovel with a pointy blade.  "The ground is frozen.  Give me the one with a hickory handle."

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

Hickory is used for the sturdy handles of farm tools, such as shovels, as well as walking sticks because it doesn't give way or bend and break easily like other woods.

My life is now complete.

No comments: