When one of my favorite students came into the library the today to chat (he is a student aide to BigRed, so he wasn't cutting class or anything) the conversation turned to spring break. Quite natural, as a creeping mass exodus has occurred throughout the school.
Side Bar: I do not remember this being such a big thing when I was in high school. Do people really leave for spring break on Tuesday the week before? I get Thursday for better air and I get Friday for beating weekend traffic, but Tuesday? Get over yourself. Also, WTF, Parents? How much are you paying for your child's education? Let me tell you: a lot. Ridiculous amounts, in fact. I would never in the extent of my life have been allowed to miss school for anything short of infectious disease, odd-colored puke, or death. Oh, and that one time in first grade when I broke my leg--but that was doctor-mandated.
So, here I am, chatting with the only student left in the entire school, despite the fact that it is 1pm on a regular school day, and he asks what I'm doing for spring break. Adorably, he adds "Do you get spring break? I mean, I know that the teachers do, but do you still have to come-in and do things with books?" Thank God, no!
When sharing my thrown-together spring break plans, I felt the distinct need to preface.
Aussie: I have a 5-year plan to visit every state in the union.
CleverStudent: [chuckles] "In the union." I like that.
Aussie: No Puerto Rico for me. And none of those Canada shenanigans.
CS: Pshh, Canada. So, where are you going?
Aussie: All of the boring states in the middle that are in driving distance: Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa.
CS: Ah. Wait. Five years? That's 10 states a year. Where are you going over the summer?
Aussie: Well, I already have 11 down, so 39 to go over 5 years; not quite as bad.
CS: When are you going to Hawaii? Cause I want in on that.
Aussie: I feel like Hawaii is best enjoyed with company, so I'll wait until a friend is free and I am free and then it'll just happen.
CS: Good plan.
In summary, let me know when you want to go to Hawaii. I am baller at combing the interwebs for amazing deals, and I have copious amounts of built-in vacation. And Hawaii is the same general temperature all year, so it really doesn't matter what time of year we go. Just. Saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment