Wednesday, November 17, 2010

En Francais, s'il vous plait

Less than two weeks before France and Italy! Bah!!!!!

I am so excited!!!!!!! But also, omg. I have so much to do before this trip, what was I thinking with the timing? I have Harry Potter, I have to make 6 pies, which means first preparing the pumpkin, which takes 6 hours in and of itself. I am singing in a wedding on Saturday, followed by an RCIA dinner. Sunday I have to go to a choir concert, then go to Mass twice, once for RCIA and them again to cantor. I work Monday and Tuesday and then I am off to Auntie's house to help with Thanksgiving. I will be back on Friday and am skipping Black Friday so that I can pack for my trip, because I have a choir concert on Saturday AND on Sunday and then Mass twice, again, and am leaving on Monday. Oh, and did I mention that I have absolutely no plans for either trip yet. I will likely bring the travel books on the plane with me and voraciously read them therein, so that I will know where Versailles is. And I need to print metro maps. And figure out how to get from the Airport to the hotel and back to the airport, at the very least.

Taking vacations is stressful.

Friends, I am in need of some assistance that the interwebs is not providing. You see, I speak enough French to get directions, conjugate verbs, and be polite. And *hopefully* get through customs. My brother speaks Spanish, so I think he will be okay in Italy for sure.

I've only been through customs in Australia, where they are crazy mo-fos because it is an island...is it safe to assume that Paris and Rome are a bit more chill on a short visit from peeps with USA passports?

What Italian do we think I need for customs...or will there not be customs between Paris and Rome? What French would Brother need to get through in Paris? Or, if I just teach him to say "Je suis un touriste" and "Parlez-vous anglais?" do we think it'll be okay?

I mean, tons of Brits must come through, right?

Guidance, oh wise amies!

2 comments:

Jennifer McGraw said...

Okay...so sorry I forgot you were going on this trip! En Paris, ne dit pas "Parlez-Vous Anglais?" This really ticks the French off...if you try to speak French and they notice that you are trying...you will get a lot further. Use basic nouns and basic conjugation and you should be fine! Oh, la, la...I wish I was going! And Versailles!
It's easy to get from the airport to wherever in Paris...either by le train, l'autobus, le metro!
Can hardly wait to hear about your travels!

Pomme said...

I always found that the accent tips the French off from the first sound you utter...so don't be surprised when they answer you in English! They appreciate the effort, and will be cool with you trying to speak the language, just have fun! Don't take the brusque French matter personally, it's just their way!

Enjoy!