So, Penni Lane has been sold.
The new plan? Lola! But not for a very, very long time. Ugh. Stupid farmers.
I've been very...sad...lately. But that all changed on Friday when I did something exhorbitantly out of character. I got a call out of the blue to go to a dinner party followed by a Shakespeare read through. And I went! I went to a random stranger's house, ate their food, and socialized and read As You Like It. And they liked me!
The hosts were a married couple, both English profs. Of course, I did know some of the people present. It was quite delightful, really. The Sangria helped, I am sure. I am so very glad that I went. Who would have thought?
And! The English profs thought that I was a good fit for their group and insisted that I come again, even when the other person that I replaced came as well! Huzzah!
I think it might really have more to do with the fact that I suggested that, should a history be next, I could supply a pair of foils and rudimentary style lessons to make us feel cool. But, we're going to focus on the nice things they said and their compliments and how I made new friends.
I was also pleasantly surprised (as I admittedly have not read As You Like It before) at how many classic Shakespearean quotes come from this latent text. It's got the All the World's a Stage bit, of course, along with the post's title and many tactful means to say "shut up" that I intend to employ. Beware.
3 comments:
Bummer about the car.
Kudos to you for going to the Shakespeare party. You are a far braver person than I. And, even better, you had fun and you get to go again!
I have never read As You Like It either. It's a comedy, right? Is it something I should read in my spare time? (HAHAHA like I have spare time)
Hmm.
A married professor couple, eh?
Toi, I really surprised myself. Like, I was walking up to the door thinking I was possessed but knowing that thinking that I was possessed meant that I had enough presence of mind to know that I was not, in fact, possessed. Like in that one play from that horrible class that Tony Guest taught with the crazy math people. Yeah, like that.
Anyway, yes, it is a comedy--one of the later comedies, so more baud than anything else. Plus Rosalind is a very, VERY strong female lead--like, even by Shakespeare standards.
Post a Comment