Friday, September 9, 2011

Belated Blog Spree!

I found, on my beloved computer, these blog posts that I wrote. They were awaiting uploading for when I could input pictures form my trip. My Spring Break Trip. I still feel that need to break-up these entries so that you actually read them, otherwise...too long.

Enjoy!

4 down, 35 to go!

That's right, friends. I knocked-off 4 states this past April while on spring break!

I started after my cousin's senior recital--which was fabulous. Absolutely fabulous.

I trekked from Chi-town down to Springfield, IL. I went to mass at 7am (I know, early...). I chose the church by Googling "Springfield, IL ~pretty church". The "~" for those of you who don't know this trick, tells Google to use synonyms in the search, as well as plurals and truncation. Cool, n'est-ce pas?



After church and some photos, I popped over to the Lincoln Tomb. Closed on Sundays, but still nice. Unfortunately, my picture of the "CLOSED. DO NOT ENTER OR CLIMB" sign on the stairs did not turn-out. Obviously I climbed the monument anyway. Suck it. What are you going to do? Make me leave?



Then I headed over to Lincoln's house:




The tour guide was really nice. Of course, being at 8:30 am on a Sunday in April, the tour was comprised of me and some old guy. So the tour guide (maybe 28) and I just flirted a lot. Plus, I was wearing a skirt from having just gone to church and it was really nice outside. Like, really nice. It was "comfy in a skirt and flip-flops at 7 am" nice outside.



Next, the Capitol building! Pretty! And kind of massive, I must say.



Then I popped into the Presidential Museum. Kind of disturbing. I've never been a fan of wax figures and, being in there at 11am, there is something off-setting about being in such a would-be erudite and solemn place that is coincidentally filled with screaming children and misinformed parents. I hate misinformed parents. You are in a museum. For the love, just read the damn sign next to it if you don't know. Apprently your child can't read for themselves anyway. . .

Then I drove out of town with the Presidential Gardens in mind. Unfortunately, they were icky and stupid and not grown-in because apparently they just plant flowers every year but nothing was planted yet and it was muddy and super windy and so I just left.

Okay, so I guess Illinois was not a new state, but Springfield is definitely a completely different vibe than Chicago. I now feel like I have really and truly been to Illinois, not just some big city in the mid-West.

Coming Soon: St. Louis, MO!

No comments: