I believe that my blog is now in a void, captured in a realm of circular reasoning gone horribly, horribly wrong. You see, I do not post because no one comments yet no one comments because I never post.
So, here is my post about far away community college job. I got here at 4pm this afternoon. When I appeared at the desk to relieve the person on desk, she said "Oh, I have a few more things to do, so I'll stay out here until 5, I think. I need to finish preparing my notes for this class that is coming in tomorrow. Is that okay?" What am I supposed to say? Lady, I don't have an office or anything to do off desk. Let me tell you how this works: it is an hour before night classes start, so you are going to be slammed with needy old people who don't understand computers and entitled students my age who just want you to do it for them. What you want to stay on desk "doing" is not going to get done. But, whatever--I am easy going and if that's what she wants, that's what she gets.
So I loitered off into the twisty back staff area. I wandered into the supply room and opened some drawers and then I sat in a comfortable chair and texted some people. Sorry if you didn't make the cut, but since no one reads my blog, you won't know that you missed out anyway. Then I sauntered back up to the desk.
Predictably, crazy old librarian reported, "I just didn't get as much done as I would have liked, so I'm going to go finish this up in my office."
I was paid for an entire hour to text, hang out on comfortable furniture and snoop through other people's shit. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the opportunity and the extra dollars and all of that--but I have this "worst-case-scenario" in my head:
Future Perspective Employer of Aussie: So, tell me about a typical day an MCC.
Aussie: ...umm...well, they had some really nice pens.
UPDATE: When relating this tale to my father, he had this knowing look on his face. Apparently, this is behavior quite akin to most of his colleagues. On my concern about a future interview going awry, he commented "Oh, I have faith in your ability to embellish."
4 comments:
Awww. It's not necessarily a circle of sorrow! You might just be going through a comment drought!
Just because I guilted you...
I too have faith in your ability to embellish. Besides, not all your work days are like this, right?
I do read and do check often for updates; I just don't necessarily comment!
Post a Comment