Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The drive

*** I wrote a draft of this post in July. You know, when I got back from New York City. I didn't have the pictures ready to upload yet, so I saved it as a draft. Enjoy! ***

I've decided that I am going to milk this whole trip thing by telling you about it in stages. You know, to be more thorough. And to have more blog entries.

Have you ever driven with me through Ohio, Pennsylvania or New Jersey? I'm sorry to hear that you have not as of yet had that pleasure. As you know, I am AWESOME. This, coupled with my uncanny ability to refrain from peeing for days at a time (okay, not days, but more than 24 hours!) and my bubbly disposition, make me wonderful for going through such long states. No offense, Moi.

So, here we are driving, when I spot something that excites me greatly. My voice jumps two full octaves (quite the accomplishment for me, if I may say so) and I shriek: "Look! The rocks are starting to come out! I love rocks!!!!!!!"

I said this because, as you may have surmised, I find driving for 12 hours to be boring. And I love rocks. Especially the kinds that are found in mountain ranges. Yay.

Noa (who is now 21 and not really Noa anymore, but for consistency's sake...) responds rather dryly, even for her "Are we still in Ohio? And who likes rocks? They are boring. They are the most boring thing in the world."

People with pet rocks like rocks. It also stands to reason that people with rock collections like rocks. Besides, these are cool rocks. They are part of a mountain range. And some of them are red.

Then we noticed that we had been passing an inordinate number of busted tires in the road. So we started counting them about halfway through Ohio. By the time we got to our destination, we were at 73. That's just insane.

As we neared the end of Pennsylvania, it was diner time. We were going to merely snack on what was in the car, but then fate intervened. Signs reading "Blue Tequila, next exit" compelled a dinner break.

Excitedly, we pulled up. And then started having second thoughts. It was probably the shadiest restaurant to ever be attached to a Days Inn. The parking lot was filled with beat-up pick-ups and urban tumble weed:




When we got inside, Noa and I looked around to discover that this Blue Tequilla place is the cheap, boring version of The Beltline Bar on the inside. The lay-out was not nearly as awesome. I blame the Days Inn for this. Speaking of Days Inn, to go to the bathroom, Noa had to go to Days Inn. When she explained to the hotel staff that she was not staying the night, but she was eating at Blue Tequilla they looked at her funny, surmised that she was from out of town, and then let her use the employee restroom. Awesome.

The Menu:



Some drinks:




What is a "WOO-WOO"? Let me tell you:delicious. It is a vodka-cran with Peach Schnapps. I had two.

When we finally left merrily on our way, we crossed happily into New Jersey and hit THE WORST TRAFFIC EVER! And, of course, New Jersey has crappy radio stations. **hours** later, when we had finally inched another mile into New Jersey, the cars on the highway started driving at the posted speed for no apparent reason. Whatever, New Jersey. So, we get to the nice little house in the nice little neighborhood where we are staying with my very wealthy cousins (really my dad's cousin and his wife and kids) and Noa says "wow. These are really nice houses." But, the house number that we need does not exist. Uh-oh. We decide to call their house. SuperNiceWife picks-up the phone:

SNW:Hello?
Aussie: Hi! SNW?
SNW: Are you here? We were scared you might have gotten lost!
Aussie: I think we might be. Well, either that, or I have the wrong house number...
SNW: [gives house number]
Aussie: Okay, lost it is! The GPS has us in the wrong place.
Noa: [light bulb goes off] When I input the destination when we left my house, there were two options for their house! I just remembered because it was **hours** ago.
Aussie: Let's switch it then!
Noa: okay!

::The GPS takes a convoluted way back to the same house::

Aussie: Shut the front door!
SNW: [gives us directions]

We arive at the house. Remember how Noa (and I, honestly) thought that the other houses were super nice? Well, their house is an old Victorian style house, maintained much in that style and was at least 3 times the size of the others, with a gorgeous garden. I mean, gorgeous.

Their kitchen was almost the size of a four-person apartment at Aquinas. We had a whole floor of the house to ourselves. A TV room, bedrooms and a bathroom. Insane.

Plus, they were super nice and drove us to the train station and picked us up every night when we got back. SO NICE!

No comments: