Thursday, March 1, 2012

No alcohol, day 9

I went to the library today in search of MMMonoca. No sightings.

Pretty standard work day. I gave a detention to a student because he called me "Bro" and then, when I told him not to address me in so base a manner, he said "Sorry, Dawg."

So, that was fun.

I also took away 3 cell phones today. None of them were very nice, so I just turned them into the office.

Oh! oh! And today was the first time--I have been riding the bus to work quite a bit lately and with gas pushing $4 a gallon, it really help--that one of the homeless people downtown bugged me. He had an odd approach. I had headphones in, so I just pretend that I cannot hear them. Solid plan until he blocked my path. Ummm. I took out an earbud and said "Excuse me." as I moved to pass.

HomelessGuy: Are you racist?
Aussie: ...I'm just on my way to work. Excuse me.
HG: Are you racist?
Aussie: Not really, no.
HG: Well, this guy over by Stella's blah blah blah called me a [insert racist slur(s) against blacks here]
Aussie: Well that's lame. I am sorry to hear that.
HG: Yeah, you'd think with Barack as President, we could move past that.
Aussie: Well, I really do need to get to work. I hope your day gets better.
HG: Hold on. I swear I am not crazy. I just need to get to Holland to get to this place (I forget if it was rehab or a group home)
Aussie: Well, the Greyhound station is just there {points to Greyhound station, which is in plain view}
HG: Yeah, I know. I don't have the money for it.
Aussie: I see. I wish I could help, but I do not have any cash on me.
HG: Anything you can do would help
Aussie: Literally no cash.
HG: Anything. Change. A phone call.
Aussie: You could always go to the Cathedral when the parish offices open. they have plenty of services for people in a tight spot. I'm sure they could help.
HG: Cathedral?!?!?!
Aussie: Yeah. That huge church in plain view {points}. I really do need to get to work. Good luck.


Candle: The staff at CC call the homeless people "The Neighbors".

No comments: