Saturday, May 23, 2009

Draw a line in the sand and then make a stand

For some reason, I have had RENT showtunes stuck in my head.  Don't get me wrong, I adore RENT.  It has had a significant impact on my life.  I haven't listened to it since Kimmmmmm, Mono and I went to see it and I can still sing the whole thing through.

What has begun to boggle my mind about this sudden infusion of a long-running, award-winning, life-altering Broadway musical.  You see, I don't believe any of the thinking that drives the cast.  I don't have AIDS.  In fact, I don't know that I know anyone who has AIDS...  There is more than just today.  I am responsible.  I have never played hookey, let alone skipped out on the Rent for the past year, squatting in a random building.  Oh, and I don't throw bruning trash out of my 5th story window.  I don't even have that cool voice mail thing going.  I should start that.  


But now, it leaves me with all of these questions and quandries...

How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart?  

I should tell you, I shoudl tell you--no!

Will I lose my dignity?  Will someone ca-a-a-a-a-are?  Will I wake tomorrow from this nightma-are!?

Why am I the witness?

Why would anyone even consider measuring their life in cups of coffee?

How did I get here?

Why is Roger's great song that's supposedly going to bring him fame so very, very lame?

Should we open up a restaurant in Sante Fe?

Does Mono live in CyberLand?  They only drink Diet Coke. . .

What if Mimi hadn't knocked on Roger's door?

In the original cast, why does one of the only gay cast members play a straight character?

Will you light my candle?

No comments: